Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Fantasy Football - Email Bag: Help at Wide Receiver

If you lost Javon Walker this year, you may want to check out this post.

Brian wrote:

I've been struggling with WR's all year.

I had Javon Walker as an anchor to an otherwise weak WR core.

After him i had:

Lelie
C. Chambers
TJ Houshmanzadah
Travis Taylor

After week 1, I made a trade to get Burleson. So two weeks in a row, I
suffer a knee injury.

Last week a trade was worked on that I decided to sit on for the
weekend.

I would trade away:

Payton Manning
Clinton Porits
Burleson (i think i could get him to drop this player from the
trade)

I would get:

Torry Holt
Lamont Jordan
Matt Hasselback


My RB's are Duece McAllister, Tiki Barber, and the duo in Carolina.

My other QB is Favre (had Bulger but lost him in the trade for Burleson)

Holt would definately be perfect for my WR problems. But breaking the
trade down I value Portis as much, if not more, than Jordan. So do I
trade Payton for Holt and Hasselback. Hassleback doesn't add a whole
lot of value to the trade, because he would platoon with Favre. I just
didn't like the idea of trading Payton for Holt. There's a reason I
drafted one before the other. But should my needs force me to accept a
trade that isn't as fair, value wise, as I'd like?

The slower Paytong starts the more stuborn I am about keeping him.
He'll come out of this slump and I'll be the one that had to suffer and
pay for his bad games.

I know this is long and maybe too involved, but, any thoughts?



Brian:

The Javon Walker injury is definitely a bummer. I think its important to have an elite receiver on your team. After the top 5 of 6 wide receivers, fantasy production can be very inconsistent from week to week. Torry Holt would definitely fill the role of elite receiver for your squad. He's going to give you a lot of good games. Your other receivers will vary in points week to week, including Burleson, who has yet to live up to the lofty expectations (and you may not be able to use him again until week 6 because of his injury and the bye in week 5).

I think your running backs are strong enough to allow you to let go of Clinton Portis.

The real tough decision is whether or not to let go of Peyton Manning. He hasn't thrown a touchdown since week 1 and defenses are playing the Colts differently this year. Also, because the Colts defense is playing so well, they haven't had to put up as many points on offense to win games.

I'm sure that Manning will pick it up as the season continues, but he probably won't be the same quarterback as last year. He stated before the season that he wasn't concerned about scoring as many touchdowns, and that he was more concerned with winning.

I would be tempted to take the trade and go with Favre and Hasselback for the rest of the year. Its risky, and if Manning breaks out of his slump you'll kick yourself, but after next week the season will be almost 25% complete, and Torry Holt will help your team immediately.

If you're not willing to let go of Manning, then you may want to keep shopping for receivers and see if you can pull another trade off.

Good luck.

No comments: