Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Michael Vick: A Fantasy Football Tragedy

The latest rumor on the Michael Vick "dog fighting" saga is that Vick is considering a plea bargain that would most likely result in jail time. The case against Michael Vick appears to be strong, otherwise a plea bargain would not be a consideration.

If this is true, then it might mark the end of one of fantasy football's greatest tragedies. After a promising rookie season, Vick appeared to be on the verge of becoming one of fantasy football's greatest weapons ever. With his uncanny ability to dodge tacklers and pick up improvised yards, Vick broke through in his sophomore season with 8 rushing touchdowns and 16 passing touchdowns.

Always a great runner, Vick never has been able to live up to the hype in the passing game, completing only 52 percent of his passes in 2006. Even rushing for 1000 yards was not enough to quiet the criticism of his inaccurate arm.

In the end, it may not be Vick's accuracy that puts an end to his career, but rather his off-the-field behavior. At this stage, it looks fairly certain that Vick will be facing at least a suspension from the NFL, and very likely jail time. By the time Vick works his way through this fiasco, he will be past the prime years of his career.

Unfortunately, it appears as though Vick will never be able to live up to his full potential. Michael Vick may go down as the greatest tragedy in both "real" and "fantasy" football.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I say good riddance. All Vick ever did was ruin every fantasy team I ever drafted him onto...and I kept drafting him year after year because I couldn't resist. On my blog I compared him to a drug. And now I'm free! Except now I think I'm hooked on Reggie Bush!

If you'd like, check out my blog at http://tjifantasysports.blogspot.com