Sunday, August 26, 2007

Fantasy Football Rankings and Strategy - A Different Take

Every year I try to prepare a new fantasy football draft strategy that is tailored for the unique circumstances that come with each new season. But I always try to keep a few fundamental rules at the forefront of my draft strategy. One of those rules is to remember that fantasy games are won by winning your weekly matchup with another opponent.......not by scoring the most points in a season. This is an important distinction to make, and one that should affect your draft strategy. It is also an essential point that many fantasy football experts fail to recognize or emphasize. I've seen many teams outscore the league by dozens of points but still fail to place in the top 3.

That being said, I try to design my fantasy football team in such a way that gives me an advantage over my opponents at every position on my team. I look at my entire fantasy lineup across the board and try to put together a team that has a top 5 player at every position.........even TE, kicker and defense. I know that the common rule is to draft kickers and defenses late........and I agree to an extent. (I've heard the Robbie Gould argument many times this year). However, drafting a perennial kicker/defense/tight end scorer earlier than your peers gives you an opportunity to develop an advantage at those positions. It doesn't matter if there is still a WR on the board that would outscore that kicker.....it only matters that you have a weekly advantage at every position.

That's why I typically try to draft a WR in the second round. There are only a few WR in the league that are guaranteed to produce every season. Getting a Marvin Harrison or a Torry Holt in round 2 gives you a clear advantage at that position over every team in the league. And you can still pick up a RB in the third round that is comparable to almost any RB drafted middle to late in the second round.

Keep this fundamental rule in mind as you draft. I believe it is critical to producing a winning fantasy football team every season.

No comments: