Friday, August 31, 2007

My Ideal Fantasy Football Draft

My main fantasy football draft is coming up this weekend and I typically like to plan out the first 5 or 6 rounds to specifically target players that I would like on my team. Obviously, the task of predicting players gets more difficult each round. Here is my current draft board of players that I will target this weekend. I have the 4th pick in a 10-team league.

Round 1

First Choice: Joseph Addai - Indianapolis Colts
Second Choice: Frank Gore - San Francisco 49ers

This is the easiest round to pick. At #4 I am virtually guaranteed to draft one of these players (If not, it means that someone has passed on LT or Steven Jackson......unlikely).


Round 2

First Choice: Maurice Jones-Drew - Jacksonville Jaguars
Second Choice: Brandon Jacobs - NY Giants
Third Choice: Marvin Harrison - Indianapolis Colts

Jones-Drew is an explosive back and should prove to be a solid #2 back. He may have some down games, but I feel confident enough to take a risk here. If drew is gone, I'll go with Jacobs who should score a lot of TD's for the NY Giants. If both guys are gone, Marvin Harrison is a sure-thing receiver who will provide consistent scoring.


Round 3

First Choice: Chad Johnson - Cincinnati Bengals
Second Choice: Torry Holt - St. Louis Rams
Third Choice: Thomas Jones - NY Jets
Fourth Choice: Cedric Benson - Chicago Bears
Third Choice: Carson Palmer - Cincinnati Bengals

Picking #4 should allow me to get a top tier receiver in the 3rd round. Chad Johnson would be my first choice here, followed by the slightly hobbled Torry Holt. If those guys are gone, I'd take a look at Carson Palmer if available....although I'd like to hold off until round 4 for QB. If I end up with Harrison in the 2nd round, then I would look at Cedric Benson or Thomas Jones to fill up my #2 RB spot.

Round 4

First Choice: Donovan McNabb - Philadelphia Eagles
Second Choice: Drew Brees - New Orleans Saints
Third Choice: Tom Brady - New England Patriots
Fourth Choice: Marc Bulger - St. Louis Rams
Fifth Choice: Marques Colston - New Orleans Saints
Sixth Choice: Anquan Boldin - Arizona

This is my target round for QB. If I wait any longer, I feel I'm taking too big of a risk. I've listed them in order of who I would like to take, although I'm not sure who will be available. If I happen to take Palmer early in round three, then I'll go with another WR here.

Round 5

First Choice: Jerious Norwood - Atlanta Falcons
Second Choice: Jamal Lewis - Cleveland Browns
Third Choice: Carnell Williams - Tampa Bay Bucs
Fourth Choice: Ahman Green - Houston Texans

Round 6

First Choice: Fred Taylor - Jacksonville Jaguars
Second Choice: Julius Jones - Dallas Cowboys
Third Choice: Ladell Betts - Washington Redskins
Fourth Choice: DeAngelo Williams - Carolina Panthers

In rounds 5 and 6 I typically like to stack up at running back. Its a high injury-prone position and in my opinion you can never have too many.

Round 7 and beyond become more hard to predict. I will most likely target a tight end in round 7 and then bulk up at WR in rounds 8 and 9. I'll save kicker and defense until the end of the draft.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the picks. You should check out The Daily Lineup - http://www.dailylineup.org
You could provide some good commentary for our users.

Cheers,
-Brett

The Daily Lineup is a newly launched site for user-generated fantasy player ranking and commentary. The idea for the site is twofold...

1) Real-time fantasy player ranking -- The real-time fantasy value of any given player is calculated from the votes of the that count the most--those of the fantasy community. By aggregating the votes of the community in real-time we have added another tool for the fantasy community to make informed draft day and week-to-week decisions.

2) A player commentary and analysis system that much like the player-ranking system allows our users to vote-up commentary and analysis. Provide good advice and you'll see yourself rise to the top of the armchair expert rankings.